Posts tagged ‘bs cooking’

August 3, 2011

BS Dinner #1: Plantain with Ginger-Garlic-Chili-Lime Marinaded Tofu

At least 92% of all of my cooking is just hungry bullshit artist meets kitchen. The other 8% is oatmeal, which is arguably half-asleep bullshit artist meets kitchen.

It would seem that cooking is art (except unlike art, which can consume a person, a person generally consumes cooking), and having accepted that I have neither the patience nor knowledge to be a Monet-type-cook, I’ve opted for the abstract throw-whatever-you-want-on-canvas-and-decide-it-is-art cooking method, over a methodical recipe-following paint-by-numbers type approach.

Unnecessary art analogy? Probably. I’ll stop now.

Turned off by the word “Tofu” in the post title? I don’t blame you. Tofu has such a horrible reputation, probably because it sounds like “toe-food”. But you can SO very easily sub a meat-protein in this “dish”– this marinade would be awesome with pork, chicken, or fish. Promise. But, it’s good with tofu, too. Tofu’s not that bad, you know.

Sometimes, I just go to the grocery store and buy flavors that I think I might want and objects that I’m curious about eating. Then, when I get home, it’s just a wonderful challenge to figure out what I’m cooking.

In the supermarket, I had big plans for this plantain, but once I got home, I figured that, since I haven’t cooked a plantain before, I should take it easy. Actually, now, this isn’t the weirdest combination of items, is it? Oh well. I’ll still share this dinner with you all. If nothing else, it’ll tell you how to cook a plantain, give a suggestion for a yummy marinade (which, yes, can be used on meat just as successfully as on tofu — this would be great with chicken, pork, or fish), and encourage your culinary bullshit artist to emerge. Healthy food is so fun and more versatile, but it’s easy to get caught up in the steamed veggies, brown rice, and 3oz of chicken breast routine.

read more »

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: